Welcome and thanks for visiting my blog.

About my blog: When I returned to the U.S. after serving in the Peace Corps, I knew that my career path wasn't headed in a direction that would lead me to self-actualization and true fulfillment of my interests and gifts. Thus, I willingly embarked upon a quarterlife crisis.

I want to thank the hundreds of people who responded to e-mails, conversed in hallways and cafes, counseled me one-on-one, and even allowed me to job shadow.

A thorough search of my soul and spiritual guidance has led me to embark upon what I hope will be a career life filled with adventure, intellectual stimulation, and unending opportunities to help other people. I want to share my experience by publicly journaling in a blog. I hope that my journey will inspire and enlighten others who may face similar challenges that I did.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

First Post

My first day of nursing school is five days away. My program lasts 5 terms--summer, fall, winter, spring, and another summer. This summer I will be taking pathophysiology, pharmacology, and health promotion (a.k.a. how to be a nurse 101).

Before I start blogging about the school experience, I want to share a little about how I got here--the application process. I wasn't for sure that I wanted to be a nurse back in December when applications for nursing school start to be due. But as I wrote the essays to apply, I realized that nursing IS for me. So, I didn't really have time to prepare much for applying. Other people spent an entire year collecting information, deadlines, visiting schools, etc. I pretty much scraped together seven applications just in the nick of time. I think that I sent every application ON the due date. I applied to 7 of the top 20 nursing schools in the U.S. and pretty much used the U.S. News list as my guide. I missed the deadlines on some of the top schools that I would have like to have applied to. In hindsight, I wish I had time to do more research about cost, funding, and programs. Some of the schools I applied to turned out to be way too expensive. In the end, I opted for my in-state school which luckliy is the number 7 nursing school in the U.S.!

No comments:

Post a Comment